One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A circular wooden block with a groove round the circumference to take a lanyard, used singly or in pairs to tighten a shroud.
- ‘But the greatest find of all was a half buried deadeye an important find on any sunken ship attached to the side of the vessel.’
- ‘In addition to these objects of women's interest, there are several tokens of men's concerns: a model of the ship Minerva, a deadeye, and a delicately carved game box.’
- ‘Every plank and rib, deadeye and curb were built according to the detailed plans of Bombigher.’
- ‘Here we find deadeyes and pulleys still attached to the hull.’
2North American informal An expert marksman.‘Chuck here is a deadeye’as modifier ‘a successful field goal requires a deadeye kick’
- ‘Buechler is a smart, valuable role player, an excellent defender and, until this season, a deadeye jump shooter.’
- ‘Glen Rice was a proven 20-point scorer and a 3-point deadeye in Miami and Charlotte, but in both cases, he was the best scorer on the team, so he got his shots.’
- ‘Who will forget Trent Bartlett's palm, pivot and deadeye shot on goal in that final quarter?’
- ‘The Nittany Lions have one of the best scorers in the game in junior deadeye Kelly Mazzante, who's never seen a shot she hasn't liked.’
- ‘Smith, on the other hand, is a deadeye marksman a step past his prime, requiring help from his teammates to get the space he needs to fire away.’
- ‘He's also a deadeye shooter from 3-point range and is not afraid to take big shots.’
- ‘Imperial Storm Troopers are deadeyes compared to these clowns.’
- ‘On a night when his team needed goals to reach the quarter-finals, their lack of a deadeye striker cost them dear.’
- ‘His extraordinary 65.1% shooting was less a testament to his deadeye accuracy than it was his unwillingness to take a good shot when a teammate had a better one.’
- ‘This wandering elf is a deadeye shot and accomplished woodsman.’
- ‘Even reserve guard Dell Curry, not a day over 147 years old, remains a deadeye sniper.’
- ‘Two and a half years ago, as the primary complement to Garnett in the team's offensive sets, the deadeye shooter was proficient enough to be chosen to the NBA All-Star Team.’
- ‘G Anthony Roberson is a deadeye shooter and an explosive scorer.’
- ‘Jones gives the Grizzlies another deadeye shooter, and he still can get to the basket at 34.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.