Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A circular wooden block with a groove round the circumference to take a lanyard, used singly or in pairs to tighten a shroud.
- ‘Every plank and rib, deadeye and curb were built according to the detailed plans of Bombigher.’
- ‘In addition to these objects of women's interest, there are several tokens of men's concerns: a model of the ship Minerva, a deadeye, and a delicately carved game box.’
- ‘Here we find deadeyes and pulleys still attached to the hull.’
- ‘But the greatest find of all was a half buried deadeye an important find on any sunken ship attached to the side of the vessel.’
2North American informal An expert marksman.‘Chuck here is a deadeye’[as modifier] ‘a successful field goal requires a deadeye kick’
- ‘Jones gives the Grizzlies another deadeye shooter, and he still can get to the basket at 34.’
- ‘On a night when his team needed goals to reach the quarter-finals, their lack of a deadeye striker cost them dear.’
- ‘The Nittany Lions have one of the best scorers in the game in junior deadeye Kelly Mazzante, who's never seen a shot she hasn't liked.’
- ‘He's also a deadeye shooter from 3-point range and is not afraid to take big shots.’
- ‘Who will forget Trent Bartlett's palm, pivot and deadeye shot on goal in that final quarter?’
- ‘Even reserve guard Dell Curry, not a day over 147 years old, remains a deadeye sniper.’
- ‘Smith, on the other hand, is a deadeye marksman a step past his prime, requiring help from his teammates to get the space he needs to fire away.’
- ‘Glen Rice was a proven 20-point scorer and a 3-point deadeye in Miami and Charlotte, but in both cases, he was the best scorer on the team, so he got his shots.’
- ‘This wandering elf is a deadeye shot and accomplished woodsman.’
- ‘Buechler is a smart, valuable role player, an excellent defender and, until this season, a deadeye jump shooter.’
- ‘G Anthony Roberson is a deadeye shooter and an explosive scorer.’
- ‘His extraordinary 65.1% shooting was less a testament to his deadeye accuracy than it was his unwillingness to take a good shot when a teammate had a better one.’
- ‘Imperial Storm Troopers are deadeyes compared to these clowns.’
- ‘Two and a half years ago, as the primary complement to Garnett in the team's offensive sets, the deadeye shooter was proficient enough to be chosen to the NBA All-Star Team.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.