One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bolt engaged by turning a knob or key, rather than by spring action; a deadlock.
- ‘When you turn the key from the outside, it releases both the knob and the deadbolt.’
- ‘My brother locked all three locks - padlock, deadbolt, knob - on our door and made his way slowly into the apartment, stopping when he caught sight of me.’
- ‘Jessica burst through the door of her home and slammed it behind her, locking each of the chains, locks, and deadbolts on it.’
- ‘He heard the sound of the deadbolt sliding into place before she moved toward the wall at the bottom of the steps.’
- ‘It was always his habit to lock everything, and since David Lash's remodeling of the living room, Jim had put in stronger deadbolts.’
- ‘The door, designed to withstand small-arms fire and intense heat and shock, also has a digital lock and a steel deadbolt.’
- ‘The sound of deadbolts locking echoed throughout the room, and great mechanical noises came through the window.’
- ‘Smashing padlocks and deadbolts, the men checked for booby traps as they felt their way by flashlight from room to room.’
- ‘A deadbolt locked it, and a small peephole was carved at average head height.’
- ‘I stepped inside to find the entire house dark, so I locked the deadbolt behind me.’
- ‘Doors with glass panes require a double-cylinder deadbolt to prevent someone from breaking the glass, reaching in and unlocking the door.’
- ‘Slowly, I reached out to shut off the ringer on the phone, then went to the door and made sure that all the deadbolts and double locks were securely in place.’
- ‘I walked towards the door and made sure it was locked and the deadbolt was in place.’
- ‘Once in, I flipped the deadbolt and checked the windows.’
- ‘Electronic deadbolts, like their standard lock counterparts, require activation from both sides to allow passage through the doorway.’
- ‘So I nodded, and expecting her to tell me later, we ran inside and locked the deadbolt.’
- ‘Therefore, my front and rear doors are both equipped with double cylinder deadbolts, locks that require a key on the inside.’
- ‘The chambers inside the deadbolt clicked and unlocked.’
- ‘The most common mistakes in installing a deadbolt or entrance lock are covered under the individual steps below.’
- ‘It's part of the new Schlage Accents Collection, which offers complete handle sets, knobs, levers, and deadbolts for any decor.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.