One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The intrinsic weight of a structure or vehicle, excluding the weight of passengers or goods.‘a jacking operation to transfer 4000 t of the tower's 6000 t dead load to underlying chalk bedrock’Often contrasted with live load
- ‘The research undertaken was applied to the architect's design, with analysis of rafter self-weight, and theoretical dead loads of bamboo sheeting and live loads representing rain and maintenance.’
- ‘Because the overlay replaced the existing topping, there was only a small increase in dead load, which was offset by using lightweight concrete.’
- ‘When 4X4 posts are used to support the rails, the post spacing should not exceed 6 feet because the rails transfer the dead loads of the balustrades and rails to the posts.’
- ‘He explained further that normally one would design for a 40 pound per square foot live load, and for whatever the dead load would actually be.’
- ‘A full structural analysis is required to determine whether it is necessary to underpin the foundations to resist the additional dead loads.’
- ‘In each case, the reduced dead load, as compared to conventional materials, allows a higher live or service load.’
- ‘The beams of a deck are intermediate structural members, transferring the dead loads of the joists (if used) and decking and live loads to the post or pier.’
- ‘A typical present-day covered bridge has a flooring dead load equal to approximately one third of the total weight of the bridge superstructure.’
- ‘Footings or piers may also be assigned a minimum dead load pressure to resist uplift of low-swelling soils.’
- ‘All signs and sign structures will be designed and constructed to withstand wind pressure and dead loads as required by the building code or other ordinance of the city.’
- ‘Consider the dead load of the precast girder, deck and diaphragm concrete acting on a simple span of the bridge.’
- ‘For example, roof construction in the past relied on the dead load of the roof itself for resistance to being blown upwards by wind.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.