One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A language which is no longer in everyday spoken use, such as Latin.
- ‘The other part of Jonathon understood the language that Minoie was speaking: a dead language of antiquity which was remembered only in the ceremonial prayers of the Rentaio.’
- ‘He more or less gave up photography and devoted himself to the study of Assyrian, a dead language.’
- ‘Hebrew was a dead language till 1880 but today it is the official language of Israel.’
- ‘The film is shot entirely in the dead languages of Aramaic and Latin, the two that would have been spoken around the time of Jesus' life in Jerusalem.’
- ‘She knew that Latin was a dead language but it helped her when she came across an historic document that needed translation.’
- ‘To memorize ancient chants and spells is not so very different from learning the dead languages of Latin and Greek.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.