A bat held loosely so that the ball falls to the ground immediately when struck.
- ‘Neither Afridi's variations, nor the varied words he let the batsman hear after each ball, seemed to trouble him, and he struck majestic poses in defence, offering a dead bat to virtually everything.’
- ‘In cricket parlance: better to play a dead bat so the ball will drop to the ground and stay there.’
- ‘He does not believe in offering a dead bat, and tries to manufacture strokes.’
- ‘Each minute he spent out there, offering a dead bat, ball after ball, he took the team an inch closer to their destination.’
- ‘By slowing down, i don't mean he played out entire overs with a dead bat.’