One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A loser, especially a racehorse that is made to lose deliberately.‘the trick to picking the Cup winner was always to pick the dead 'un in the race before every Cup’
- ‘She ran second in Perth on a dead 'un.’
- ‘On selected events they could run a 'Mystery Dead Un' feature.’
- ‘After the event Stewards would declare the dead un with correct weight.’
- ‘I didn't have the ability, as the term was in those days, to run a dead un.’
- ‘You might be riding a dead 'un, not supposed to win.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.