One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A line behind the goal line, beyond which the ball is out of play.
- ‘In the dying seconds a long clearance looked to have given Benedict's a try, but G. Thompson got back to slide the ball over the dead-ball line.’
- ‘Inexplicably, he seemed to lose concentration and wandered across the dead-ball line - squandering the touchdown chance and handing Reivers a 22-metre drop-out clearance instead.’
- ‘And Josh Lewsey and Will Greenwood failed to get to grips with the ball later on as it fell over the dead-ball line.’
- ‘The gamble paid off in the 64th minute when Steve Brodie hammered in a shot following a cut back from the dead-ball line.’
- ‘This time Daryl Murphy worked his way to the dead-ball line on the right, and when he cut the ball back, Kevin O'Brien met it cleanly to score from 16 yards.’
- ‘The Lions managed to bundle Jean de Villiers over the dead-ball line after the Springbok centre had gathered right wing Breyton Paulse's kick.’
- ‘Salgado turns into Damien Duff, weaving into the box along the dead-ball line and leaving a trail of defenders in his wake.’
- ‘Kalinichenko's set-piece was a bad ball from the moment it left his foot to the moment it crossed the dead-ball line without touching anyone else.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.