Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Doctor of Divinity.
2Designated driver.‘I'm the DD tonight’
A person's daughter (particularly used in online forums)‘my DD is having three girls sleep over for her sixth birthday’
- ‘My DD is nearly 7 weeks old and won't take any milk from a bottle.’
- ‘I had made an appointment for DD to have her haircut at 10 am.’
- ‘We're taking DD and two friends to the Utah Grizzlies/Idaho Steelheads game in SLC! Woohoo!’
- ‘It's DD's last day of nursery tomorrow so we just made cards for her teachers.’
- ‘My DD also wants to see Central Park, the Statue of Liberty, do some 5 th Ave shopping, visit Times Square, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.’
- ‘Last Tuesday DD had to take the day off school - her cough was awful and she had no sleep the night before.’
- ‘So now I am looking at making the trek to Pride Park on Wednesday to buy tickets for Me, DD, DS and DD's friend.’
- ‘Today DD and I (and DD's friend and sister) braved the rain to walk to Pride Park and join in with hundreds of other Rams fans to see the lads off on the way to Wembley.’
- ‘I also purchased a lunch bag for DD, which she thinks is too "cutsey" to take to high school, so I use it instead.’
- ‘By 10 am they hadn't arrived but we had managed to get DD's bed dismantled.’
- ‘So much left to do to get DD ready for Brownies camp this weekend!’
- ‘My DD and I are trying very hard to adopt a new healthy way of eating and snacking.’
- ‘DD and I went shopping then stayed in the warm and watched TV.’
- ‘However, DD's main passion in life is music, so this seemed like a show we may both enjoy.’
- ‘After dinner DD went to a friends for a sleepover.’
- ‘My DD has been acting out at school and I am at my wit's end.’
- ‘I was a bit afraid as I was buying our tickets that my DD would perhaps be too old and think I had gone off the deep end for taking her as a teenager.’
- ‘Taking DD to the doctor today, after she was ill again last nite.’
- ‘The official beginning of my family's holiday season is always my DD's band concert.’
- ‘DD's form tutor is fantastic anyway.’
- ‘This evening DD and her friend are going bowling with the free tickets we got back in March and her friend is staying over for the evening.’
1990s: abbreviation of darling daughter or dear daughter.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.