Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The illumination of buildings by natural light:‘daylighting is achieved by using properly designed windows and skylights’
- ‘A ground-source heat-pump system, daylighting, and electric light sensors minimize energy use.’
- ‘Other energy-efficient measures include daylighting and jumbo heating, ventilation and air conditioning units in the assembly plant.’
- ‘Sun-drenched California offers a veritable laboratory for daylighting.’
- ‘It features structural cooling, good daylighting, and wind-driven natural ventilation.’
- ‘For example, research shows daylighting can cut electric power consumption by 35 to 50 percent.’
- ‘Among the courses on lighting fundamentals, one workshop focused on daylighting: the maximization of diffuse, indirect sunlight.’
- ‘It's important to be able to adjust the levels of your electric lighting to adapt to the hourly and seasonal changes in daylighting.’
- ‘The reliance on daylighting and the lack of air-conditioning have greatly reduced the electrical loads.’
- ‘At the turn of the 20th century, most buildings used daylighting as the major source of daytime illumination.’
- ‘North light is very effective for daylighting and south light is controllable.’
- ‘These include natural ventilation and daylighting for the main exhibit halls.’
- ‘The interior courtyard, with interactive spaces at lower and upper levels, facilitates daylighting and natural ventilation.’
- ‘The overall design is very restrained, creating interior spaces with generous daylighting and views to the exterior.’
- ‘Courtrooms, lobbies and offices are designed to maximize daylighting.’
- ‘Overlooking Newport Harbor, the school uses daylighting and natural ventilation strategies to take advantage of the Southern California climate.’
- ‘For example, a building that uses extensive daylighting techniques will reduce the amount of heat given off by lighting fixtures.’
- ‘Skylights maximize daylighting.’
- ‘Despite the benefits of daylighting, direct natural light can produce glare.’
- ‘The new bank incorporates many green features, including operable windows, energy efficiency and daylighting to the floors below ground.’
- ‘These panels create a beautiful pattern of diffuse light during daylighting.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.