One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Minor surgery that does not require the patient to stay in hospital overnight.
- ‘In many cases patients will need only to attend day surgery rather than be detained overnight in hospital.’
- ‘Studies that examine the effect of follow-up telephone calls after day surgery report increased patient satisfaction.’
- ‘There will be more day surgery and more same-day test and diagnosis.’
- ‘The next few years may see the insertion of a hip prosthesis or the repair of an aortic aneurysm performed as day surgery.’
- ‘It may be performed as day surgery (you will be allowed to go home the same day), but usually you will need to stay in hospital overnight.’
- ‘Thanks to advances in anaesthetics, day surgery may be the best option for many operations previously requiring a stay in hospital.’
- ‘Many interventions can be delivered through day surgery rather than lengthy hospital stays.’
- ‘Dr Jones was also concerned hospitals could use the money from fines to undertake more day surgery, which could then lead to more people blocking beds.’
- ‘Rates of day surgery more than doubled over the same period.’
- ‘These would have no accident and emergency services and would largely provide day surgery and convalescent care.’
- ‘It will mean that Elmbridge residents booked in for planned orthopaedic surgery or day surgery will soon have to travel to Ashford.’
- ‘Patients requesting or requiring surgical treatment were placed on a list for elective day surgery, and they were treated in the standard way by experienced operators.’
- ‘Local anaesthesia, either by widespread infiltration or aimed to block particular nerves, is now widely used for day surgery, and also to provide postoperative pain relief.’
- ‘Now, because of day surgery, we have only 328 beds, because patients don't have to stay here for so long.’
- ‘Mr Hackett said of the proposed bed cuts: ‘More services will be provided closer to where patients live and we will be making more use of day surgery, which patients prefer.’’
- ‘It is also hoped the hospital will be able to offer more day surgery rather than admitting patients for overnight stays when they have operations.’
- ‘The findings of this study are not generalizable to all patients undergoing same day surgery because only a limited number of surgical procedures and a small patient sample were used.’
- ‘Existing single speciality hospitals could then be used for elective day surgery and outpatient work’
- ‘Successful day surgery is dependent on adequate community nursing.’
- ‘The plan may mean patients receiving day surgery will have to travel outside the city for their operation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.