One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A reduced-price fare for a journey on public transport out and back in one day.
- ‘I get on a bus, show my pass and get a cheap day return to most places.’
- ‘A day return is £15.50 for a day out in Bute, Scotland's first island in the Highlands.’
- ‘The 35-mile journey takes 1hr 45 min, so a day return is more than possible.’
- ‘I believe a day return (based on travelling in peak hours) is around £4.’
- ‘A cheap day return to Stalybridge is the drinker's ticket to four different railway watering holes and 30 different beers.’
- ‘The cost per passenger is 3 for a day return and 2 one way.’
- ‘When they tried to book for Friday, October 29 a price of £128.50 for a standard day return was quoted because cheaper tickets had not been released.’
- ‘The cost would be a £1.90 return tram ticket and a cheap day return for just 90p - another £2.80.’
- ‘I would only use this opening if I'd bought a cheap day return (not valid after 5 p.m.).’
- ‘People who live in the southeast of England find it cheaper to driver to Dover and buy a ferry ticket for a day return and fill their car with euro-booze than it is to buy your alcohol at home.’
- ‘A senior's rail day return from Blackburn to Darwen is £1.15, a saving of 22p and trains are not smothered in unappealing adverts.’
- ‘The current cheapest day return between the two cities is £12.30, although passengers cannot travel before 9.30 am on weekdays.’
- ‘The cheapest way of reaching the continent is a day return on any one of the dozens of ferries plying the routes daily to France, Belgium, Holland and Denmark.’
- ‘The normal day return for the trip London-Brighton from Victoria Station is £15 and from Kings Cross Station (which takes a little longer) is £10.’
- ‘A pensioner using a railcard for a day return from Brighton to Evesham can find himself paying any of 11 different fares, from £24.30 to £92.80, depending on which trains he happens to book.’
- ‘I'm happy with a cheap day return to Catford once a year.’
- ‘No advance cheap tickets are available but a £12.30 cheap day return is available after 9.30 am, according to the National Rail Enquiries telephone line.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.