One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hospital or other medical facility which provides treatment, assessment, etc. during the day, with patients returning home or to another hospital at night.
- ‘Nelson Penny, 82, has been attending the day hospital for about six years.’
- ‘They were followed carefully, being called every day and attending our day hospital every two days.’
- ‘As the annual winter pressure bites, the day hospital has, on several occasions, been taken over to cope with emergency admissions.’
- ‘Carol Dixon, who suffers with mental health problems, went to the day hospital three times a week for seven years.’
- ‘It is certainly better than attending the day hospital every day.’
- ‘The sale also will allow the launch of a day hospital for children who need intensive care in the day but can go home at night.’
- ‘Not only did they not fulfil any of these things, they actually closed down the small day hospital for the elderly that was operating at Skipton General at the time.’
- ‘Meanwhile, Mr McLoughlin said it's planned to use some of the proceeds of the sale to build a new day hospital for psychiatric patients.’
- ‘In Mozambique, where the level of HIV is 15%, you would keep a day hospital going with $200,000 a year.’
- ‘She and Father Christmas handed over toys for children using the play therapy department at the children's day hospital.’
- ‘New admissions are now being placed in the female ward or day hospital.’
- ‘He worked on wards and in the day hospital for 14 years before becoming a community psychiatric nurse in 1990.’
- ‘Admissions were stopped and the day hospital closed.’
- ‘The new building will include a bigger day hospital and a base for the rehabilitation service, which is currently working from Banbury.’
- ‘The quick outpatient and diagnostic services provided by the Bolinbroke, along with its wonderful day hospital, are essential.’
- ‘The day hospital runs outpatient clinics for people needing physical rehabilitation and physiotherapy.’
- ‘The fact he can go to the day hospital keeps me sane.’
- ‘The garden would allow people with dementia who attend the day hospital to continue to have quality of life while maintaining their dignity.’
- ‘One hundred per cent of the show's proceeds will go to the chemotherapy day hospital.’
- ‘It has been reduced to a day hospital with a psychiatric ward for elderly people and a well-used and well-respected minor injuries unit.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.