Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The singing of a large number of birds before dawn each day, particularly during the breeding season.‘the dawn chorus woke Robyn at five’
- ‘As the angled rays creep up the last few hundred yards below my deck, illuminating individual blades of grass and blood-red flowers, the dawn chorus of birdsong begins to fade.’
- ‘A poet who didn't wake for a dawn chorus like the ones you get here would be a sad fellow indeed.’
- ‘During their egg-laying period, females remain in their nest cavities while males perform their dawn chorus.’
- ‘This morning, I spent about an hour listening to the beautiful dawn chorus, as the birds awoke and greeted another sunrise with their mellifluous songs.’
- ‘The dawn chorus roused me very early again today, dragging me from snug warm covers to the desk after a slight detour to get coffee.’
- ‘Early risers were treated to a glorious sunrise at the traditional dawn chorus.’
- ‘Such findings support the idea that singing during the dawn chorus is important to defend the territory against rival males or to adjust social relationships among territorial neighbors.’
- ‘It was barely light yet and not even the dawn chorus interrupted the mournful silence she had ordered upon the palace.’
- ‘I used to hate the dawn chorus waking me up (I am a light sleeper), but now I love it, especially during the spring/summer months.’
- ‘In the dawn chorus, however, singing activity showed a similar seasonal pattern in mated and unmated males and was high until late stages of the breeding cycle.’
- ‘Early morning may be the key time to play vocalizations to attract new settlers as recent research suggests that settling males assess sites at dawn, during the dawn chorus.’
- ‘Morning came early, as it tended to in the early days of spring, causing Armande to wake with the dawn chorus of birds.’
- ‘We studied female and male behavior during the dawn chorus in two different nest box populations around Antwerp, Belgium.’
- ‘The morning burst of birdsong is called the dawn chorus.’
- ‘We camped overnight but with the dawn chorus and the sheep bleating, it was hard to sleep!’
- ‘Observations commenced at nautical twilight (sun 12° below horizon) and ceased at the end of the dawn chorus (last bird heard singing).’
- ‘The dawn chorus starts at about half four and I've barely slept and now I have hundreds of birds singing loudly.’
- ‘During the dawn chorus, male Great Tits produce several different song types and few to many different calls.’
- ‘This morning, waking early, as the sun was coming up and the dawn chorus was starting, I forced my aching and bruised body from my bed and made tea.’
- ‘Soon enough the sky began to lighten, the dawn chorus started up, and a heavy dew began to form.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.