One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The bottom of the sea, especially regarded as the grave of those drowned at sea.‘the reef will consign us all to Davy Jones's locker’
the sea, the ocean, the waterView synonyms
- ‘Have my officer, Johnny; send him to Davy Jones's locker if he fights.’
- ‘A dinosaur-era Davy Jones's locker of large, predatory sea reptiles has been discovered by fossil hunters on an Arctic island.’
- ‘And soon I will be resting in a cold and watery grave In Davy Jones's locker.’
- ‘The time has come for Jack Sparrow to be rescued from Davy Jones's Locker.’
- ‘And you'd have thought they'd at least shed a tear or two when their old man vanishes into Davy Jones's locker.’
Extension of early 18th-century nautical slang Davy Jones, denoting the evil spirit of the sea.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.