One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic antibiotic that interferes with DNA synthesis and is used in the treatment of acute leukaemia and other cancers.
- ‘She was treated with a chemotherapeutic regimen that included daunorubicin, cytosine, and thioguanine.’
- ‘For its MDR subline, which displays high level of MRP1, the resistance factor for daunorubicin was equal to 23.’
- ‘The study compared 350 patients receiving the drugs cytarabine plus daunorubicin to 140 patients receiving cytarabine plus increasing doses of both daunorubicin and etoposide.’
- ‘The patient was treated with standard induction chemotherapy (3 + 7; daunorubicin + cytarabine) followed by consolidation chemotherapy.’
- ‘Doxorubicin hydrochloride and daunorubicin hydrochloride are 2 drugs which compose a larger class known as anthracyclines.’
- ‘Numerous chemotherapeutic agents have been associated with the development of NE, including cytarabine, daunorubicin, methotrexate, vincristine, paclitaxel, doxorubicin, and steroids.5’
- ‘Both patients were treated with daunorubicin, L-asparaginase, vincristine, and prednisone typical for precursor B-lymphoblastic leukemia/lymphoma, and both patients achieved complete remission.’
- ‘The patient was treated with induction chemotherapy using daunorubicin and cytarabine and with consolidation therapy with cytarabine and intrathecal methotrexate.’
- ‘Recently, the US Food and Drug Administration approved the use of liposomal daunorubicin and liposomal doxorubicin for treatment of AIDS-related KS.’
- ‘The types of drugs used are vincristine (from periwinkles), prednisone (a steroid), asparaginase (an enzyme) or daunorubicin (an antibiotic).’
- ‘A 72-year-old woman diagnosed with acute promyelocytic leukemia achieved remission when given all-trans-retinoic acid, enocitabine, and daunorubicin for one week.’
- ‘Relatives were due to arrive from abroad, and she chose to try a single reduced dose of daunorubicin 40 mg and cytarabine 200 mg intravenously.’
- ‘He was treated with high-dose chemotherapy, including arabinosylcytosine (Ara-C), daunorubicin, and etoposide, followed by autologous peripheral stem cell transplant.’
- ‘He was diagnosed with acute monoblastic leukemia (AML-MSa) and subsequently underwent induction therapy with daunorubicin, 6-thioguanine, and cytosine arabinoside.’
- ‘Many inhibitors have been reported to inhibit different DNA helicases from different sources, of which nogalamycin and daunorubicin are found to be quasi-universal inhibitors of most of the DNA helicases tested so far.’
- ‘The patient underwent 6 cycles of arabinosylcytosine / daunorubicin therapy.’
1960s: from Daunia, in southern Italy where it was developed, + -rubi- ‘red’ + -mycin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.