Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A synthetic antibiotic that interferes with DNA synthesis and is used in the treatment of acute leukaemia and other cancers.
- ‘Many inhibitors have been reported to inhibit different DNA helicases from different sources, of which nogalamycin and daunorubicin are found to be quasi-universal inhibitors of most of the DNA helicases tested so far.’
- ‘The patient underwent 6 cycles of arabinosylcytosine / daunorubicin therapy.’
- ‘Relatives were due to arrive from abroad, and she chose to try a single reduced dose of daunorubicin 40 mg and cytarabine 200 mg intravenously.’
- ‘Recently, the US Food and Drug Administration approved the use of liposomal daunorubicin and liposomal doxorubicin for treatment of AIDS-related KS.’
- ‘He was treated with high-dose chemotherapy, including arabinosylcytosine (Ara-C), daunorubicin, and etoposide, followed by autologous peripheral stem cell transplant.’
- ‘The study compared 350 patients receiving the drugs cytarabine plus daunorubicin to 140 patients receiving cytarabine plus increasing doses of both daunorubicin and etoposide.’
- ‘She was treated with a chemotherapeutic regimen that included daunorubicin, cytosine, and thioguanine.’
- ‘The types of drugs used are vincristine (from periwinkles), prednisone (a steroid), asparaginase (an enzyme) or daunorubicin (an antibiotic).’
- ‘A 72-year-old woman diagnosed with acute promyelocytic leukemia achieved remission when given all-trans-retinoic acid, enocitabine, and daunorubicin for one week.’
- ‘Both patients were treated with daunorubicin, L-asparaginase, vincristine, and prednisone typical for precursor B-lymphoblastic leukemia/lymphoma, and both patients achieved complete remission.’
- ‘Numerous chemotherapeutic agents have been associated with the development of NE, including cytarabine, daunorubicin, methotrexate, vincristine, paclitaxel, doxorubicin, and steroids.5’
- ‘He was diagnosed with acute monoblastic leukemia (AML-MSa) and subsequently underwent induction therapy with daunorubicin, 6-thioguanine, and cytosine arabinoside.’
- ‘The patient was treated with standard induction chemotherapy (3 + 7; daunorubicin + cytarabine) followed by consolidation chemotherapy.’
- ‘The patient was treated with induction chemotherapy using daunorubicin and cytarabine and with consolidation therapy with cytarabine and intrathecal methotrexate.’
- ‘Doxorubicin hydrochloride and daunorubicin hydrochloride are 2 drugs which compose a larger class known as anthracyclines.’
- ‘For its MDR subline, which displays high level of MRP1, the resistance factor for daunorubicin was equal to 23.’
1960s: from Daunia, in southern Italy where it was developed, + -rubi- ‘red’+ -mycin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.