Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A synthetic antibiotic that interferes with DNA synthesis and is used in the treatment of acute leukaemia and other cancers.
- ‘Recently, the US Food and Drug Administration approved the use of liposomal daunorubicin and liposomal doxorubicin for treatment of AIDS-related KS.’
- ‘The types of drugs used are vincristine (from periwinkles), prednisone (a steroid), asparaginase (an enzyme) or daunorubicin (an antibiotic).’
- ‘Numerous chemotherapeutic agents have been associated with the development of NE, including cytarabine, daunorubicin, methotrexate, vincristine, paclitaxel, doxorubicin, and steroids.5’
- ‘He was treated with high-dose chemotherapy, including arabinosylcytosine (Ara-C), daunorubicin, and etoposide, followed by autologous peripheral stem cell transplant.’
- ‘Both patients were treated with daunorubicin, L-asparaginase, vincristine, and prednisone typical for precursor B-lymphoblastic leukemia/lymphoma, and both patients achieved complete remission.’
- ‘Doxorubicin hydrochloride and daunorubicin hydrochloride are 2 drugs which compose a larger class known as anthracyclines.’
- ‘For its MDR subline, which displays high level of MRP1, the resistance factor for daunorubicin was equal to 23.’
- ‘A 72-year-old woman diagnosed with acute promyelocytic leukemia achieved remission when given all-trans-retinoic acid, enocitabine, and daunorubicin for one week.’
- ‘The patient underwent 6 cycles of arabinosylcytosine / daunorubicin therapy.’
- ‘The study compared 350 patients receiving the drugs cytarabine plus daunorubicin to 140 patients receiving cytarabine plus increasing doses of both daunorubicin and etoposide.’
- ‘The patient was treated with standard induction chemotherapy (3 + 7; daunorubicin + cytarabine) followed by consolidation chemotherapy.’
- ‘He was diagnosed with acute monoblastic leukemia (AML-MSa) and subsequently underwent induction therapy with daunorubicin, 6-thioguanine, and cytosine arabinoside.’
- ‘She was treated with a chemotherapeutic regimen that included daunorubicin, cytosine, and thioguanine.’
- ‘Many inhibitors have been reported to inhibit different DNA helicases from different sources, of which nogalamycin and daunorubicin are found to be quasi-universal inhibitors of most of the DNA helicases tested so far.’
- ‘Relatives were due to arrive from abroad, and she chose to try a single reduced dose of daunorubicin 40 mg and cytarabine 200 mg intravenously.’
- ‘The patient was treated with induction chemotherapy using daunorubicin and cytarabine and with consolidation therapy with cytarabine and intrathecal methotrexate.’
1960s: from Daunia, in southern Italy where it was developed, + -rubi- ‘red’ + -mycin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.