Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for persimmon
- ‘A seedless variety has been reported from China, but most date plums contain numerous brown, flattened seeds.’
- ‘Like the persimon, the date plum looses its astringency when fully ripe.’
- ‘The fruit variety known as the date plum is one of several fruits reputed to have been the ‘lotus’ of the so-called lotus-eaters of Homer's Odyssey.’
- ‘The date plum was first introduced to Europe in 1596, and was a popular plant in southern Europe by the end of the 18th century.’
- ‘Persimmons, he tells her, are American date plums, sweet when softened by frost.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.