One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The practice of examining large pre-existing databases in order to generate new information.
- ‘It is not uncommon that databases for data mining require their own analytic engine, design and structure.’
- ‘IBM is to incorporate a couple of OLAP tools into DB2, enabling organisations to do data mining and analysis.’
- ‘One version of data mining software tracks the eligibility of students for federal Medicaid benefits.’
- ‘The spying programs that are now coming to light are only a part of a broader move by the administration to make greater use of vast databases and data mining techniques to monitor the activity of the population.’
- ‘In scientific data mining, algorithms seek to cluster, generalize, and classify patterns and correlations in databases.’
- ‘Still, while data mining hardware and software is cheaper, data mining usually requires extensive services, and that can get expensive.’
- ‘The Google API is destined to change the way that developers retrieve data and it opens a whole new level of data mining that has never been available in the past.’
- ‘Real-time access on data mining software could potentially revolutionise the way that telecom companies conduct their business.’
- ‘Using data mining and pattern recognition, automakers can relate warranty information back to production.’
- ‘Just and Mitchell use data mining and statistical machine software to detect subtle patterns.’
- ‘Other types of databases or even flat files may be used for data mining, but are more cumbersome and time-consuming to work with.’
- ‘With Capps II, they want to use data mining to identify people based on past patterns.’
- ‘Use of data mining techniques is essential for any database marketer.’
- ‘Once pulled into the SQL database, the information can be sliced and diced using Crystal Analysis data mining software.’
- ‘Though for the advocates anything that involves data seems indistinguishable from data mining, MATRIX is not a data-mining program.’
- ‘Using basic data mining, Apple can use this information to produce relationship maps, spending information and usage patterns that other companies can only dream about.’
- ‘The use of sophisticated software to do data mining is already something that the private sector is doing.’
- ‘In case you've ever wondered, data mining is the real reason behind supermarket loyalty programs.’
- ‘Two of them used real medical data from their own databases, while the third focused on data mining.’
- ‘It is not a big stretch to use these databases to do data mining to look for activity that correlates with patterns found in investigations of known terrorists.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.