One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chief priest of the Parsees.
- ‘Taking photographs and videos of what lies within the dakhma is an utterly irreligious act, and I am sure that my fellow dasturs support me in condemning such an act.’
- ‘After midnight on the third day the fire is shifted by the dasturs or priests in the absence of any artificial lighting to its temporary place in the ante-room.’
- ‘The dasturs are dressed entirely in white, and they are held in great esteem.’
- ‘Pervez Patel, a Parsi priest from Queens, New York, lead the ten dasturs, from New York and the northeast, in the ceremonies and group prayers including nine-year old Porus Khambatta.’
- ‘As per the simplistic traditions of the parsee community, Mr Palkhivala's body was placed in Albless Bungli, where at 7: 40 am, dastoors or parsee priests began their recitations of prayers and verses from the gathas in the traditional payadast ritual.’
Persian, from Old Persian dastōbār.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.