Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A loose brightly coloured shirt or tunic, originally from West Africa.
- ‘I was invited to speak on college campuses and I saw the disappointment in the eyes of black students when I got off the plane and I did not have a ten-foot-high Afro and was not wearing a dashiki made by Jomo Kenyatta's grandmama.’
- ‘For instance, each celebration involves colorful garb - from tasseled dashikis floating down South Street during Odunde to the embroidered silk robes worn on Chinese New Year.’
- ‘Throughout the country men have, for the most part, replaced the traditional loincloth with T-shirts and dashikis.’
- ‘Aretha put her hair into an Afro, wore dashikis and got involved in the growing women's movement.’
- ‘A student may wear a dashiki to class, but he wears a cap and gown to graduation.’
- ‘And because I don't wear dashikis today, or kurtas to proclaim my Indian ancestry, does not make me less conscious of my past than these ‘come-latelys’.’
- ‘The Black Power Movement of the 1960's and 1970's saw my mother, her sisters and many of their peers cutting off their relaxed hair into Afros, dressing in dashikis and encouraging others to do the same.’
- ‘Over the stone fireplace, a large oil painting of Madhubuti, back when he was Don L. Lee sporting a thick Afro and dashiki, recalls the righteous exhortations of his first books of poetry, Think Black and Black Pride.’
- ‘But she was never to wear the Asase Ya costume, with its brilliantly patterned dashiki and the tall, coiled wig of black yarn.’
- ‘Her 45-year old body, clad today in an African print dashiki dress, seems to still have a lot of dance left in it.’
From Yoruba or Hausa.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.