One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Write something hurriedly and without much premeditation.‘I dashed off a quick letter’
scribble, write hurriedly, write untidily, write illegibly, scratch, scrawl, doodle, jot, jot downView synonyms
- ‘I tend to dash things off without thinking so much.’
- ‘You law students might think that we old law profs just dash these things off in an hour, but, in fact, it takes some doing.’
- ‘John Taylor's paper was dashed off and sent to the scientific journal Nature for publication.’
- ‘We were confronted by a row of little pictures that not only looked as though they had been dashed off at high speed, but plainly were considered by their makers to be complete.’
- ‘A minor project for the master architect, perhaps, but with a grandness indicating that he didn't just dash it off.’
- ‘The excuse for churning out a far less funny film, it seemed, was simple: ‘We just dashed it off.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.