One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A long-necked fish-eating bird related to the cormorants, typically found in fresh water, where they frequently swim submerged to the neck.
Family Anhingidae and genus Anhinga: four species
- ‘The lake itself covers over 650 hectares, more than half the total size of the national park it is located in, and is home to egrets, darters, hornbills and kites, as well as some of the most unique fishing in the world.’
- ‘Too, a tract devoid of any winged life other than dragonflies and mosquitoes this week might just be covered with the feathered gray darters come the first of September.’
- ‘More than 200 species of birds are also found here, including the rare Storm's stork and the oriental darter, kingfishers and raptors such as the crested serpent eagle.’
- ‘The evolutionary relationships of anhingas and darters remain unclear.’
2A small fast-moving North American freshwater fish.
Genera Etheostoma and Percina, family Percidae: numerous species
- ‘The small, brilliantly colored vermilion darter, a fish found only in a single tributary in Alabama, is nearing extinction because of habitat destruction and a decline in water quality.’
- ‘The only species present in Clyde Creek were blacknose shiner, Iowa darter, central mudminnow, and pearl dace.’
- ‘Snorkelers observed only one benthic fish, a darter (Ethostoma or Percina spp.), in a smallmouth bass nest in Lake Opeongo.’
- ‘Using their two large pairs of long, flat, stiff-rayed fins, the darters cling to the base of the vertical rock surface while still underwater, then inch themselves upward with strong lateral movements.’
- ‘The Dale Hollow and Chattahoochee Forest National Fish Hatcheries are helping CFI to raise more boulder darters for future releases.’
- ‘The darter, found most often in the thin streams flowing throughout the training area, is a small 2-inch long fish that eats insect larvae.’
- ‘In addition to whitefish bull trout will feed on sculpins, darters or other trout and where applicable, salmon fry.’
- ‘Because water quality in the Elk River is improving, and because we have discovered ways to provide additional habitat in the form of natural slabrocks, more areas in the Elk River are ready for boulder darters.’
- ‘Too much sedimentation can affect the habitat of darters and associated fish species by making urban streams and lakes unsuitable for feeding and reproduction.’
3British A broad-bodied dragonfly that typically darts out from a perch to grab prey.
Libellulidae and related families: several generaNorth American term skimmer
- ‘The bird survey counted wood lark, nightjar, cross bill and long-eared owl, while the dragonfly study spotted the previously unrecorded black darter, hairy dragonfly and the emperor dragonfly.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.