Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Tourism that involves travelling to places associated with death and suffering.‘he's planning a project on dark tourism, documenting the increasing popularity of morbid landmarks around the world’
- ‘I am currently writing an article on 'dark tourism' and ecocide.’
- ‘We don't want to be just about 'dark tourism', we also want to show off Bethlehem's assets and its 4,000-year history.’
- ‘'Dark tourism', as it's been dubbed, is on the increase, as people around the world fight to ensure the sins of the past are not forgotten.’
- ‘He suggests people might engage in dark tourism to redress this balance - to explore the meaning of their own mortality and to indulge their curiosity about death in a socially acceptable public context.’
- ‘I have just been reading research suggesting that there is a kind of "dark tourism" associated with attendance at such services.’
- ‘What are the motivations of these consumers of 'dark tourism'?’
- ‘If you have ever been to the world war battlefields in northern France, a Holocaust museum or even a military cemetery, then you've participated - perhaps unknowingly - in dark tourism.’
- ‘If you've ever had the desire to visit a battlefield or some other location where death and tragedy occurred that's a type of traveling called "dark tourism."’
- ‘He presented his research into dark tourism at the symposium and said he found the event very useful.’
- ‘The JFK tour is the latest example of 'dark tourism', a new and growing phenomenon that is beginning to attract academic concern.’
- ‘Traveling to the scene of a tragedy is also called dark tourism and the people who do it are said to be jumping on the grief bandwagon.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.