Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The cycle of reactions (the Calvin cycle) which occurs in the second phase of photosynthesis and does not require the presence of light. It involves the fixation of carbon dioxide and its reduction to carbohydrate and the dissociation of water, using chemical energy stored in ATP.
- ‘After several minutes of incubation a dark reaction began to be appreciable in the roots, and pictures were immediately obtained.’
- ‘The contribution of the dark reaction to the overall rate of the light reaction is negligible.’
- ‘At low temperatures, the balance between photosynthetic energy conversion and consumption is disturbed, because the dark reactions of photosynthesis are more strongly retarded than energy absorption and electron flow.’
- ‘Photoexcitation is followed by a series of dark reactions producing a number of intermediate states, which are named K, L, M, N, and 0 in the best known bR photocycle.’
- ‘These dark reactions endanger the ability of cells to maintain their structural and functional integrity.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.