One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Glasses with tinted lenses, worn to protect or conceal a person's eyes.
- ‘To view this slow moving but miraculous event please don your dark glasses or protective eye coverings.’
- ‘All the criminals have to do is wear dark glasses and a hat to avoid being identified on camera.’
- ‘She wore a white hat and dark glasses against the photographers.’
- ‘Gone too are the other accoutrements of anonymity: the dark glasses and baseball caps.’
- ‘While the elderly carry the umbrella, youngsters take to wearing dark glasses, to avoid exposure of eye to the heat and dust.’
- ‘He says his mother maintains to this day that her boys wear dark glasses because the fierce Maniototo sun burnt out their corneas.’
- ‘Both are wearing dark glasses, one is using a guide dog, and the other is tapping his way along the aisle with a cane.’
- ‘Dorethea wondered if age had impaired his sight as it had her mother's, who read with a magnifying lens and wore dark glasses outside the house.’
- ‘They came in camouflage, hidden behind dark glasses, but no one noticed them: they only saw shadows.’
- ‘Her last public pictures, complete with walking stick and dark glasses, do not provide the image she would want to be remembered by.’
- ‘Jerseys, long trousers, some form of covering to protect head and face from blowing sand, dark glasses and a good sleeping bag are essential.’
- ‘The only reason for armed policemen to wear gloves is to ward off the cold and they wear dark glasses to fend off the sun's rays.’
- ‘The next customer to come through the door is a man whose face is a mystery obscured by dark glasses and a beard.’
- ‘For protecting your eyes from ultra violet glare, dark glasses come in handy.’
- ‘These competitors could also be seen with dark glasses and large coats to attempt to conceal their identity.’
- ‘We had to cover ourselves up and wear dark glasses, it was so sunny.’
- ‘The lights themselves are dazzling and suntan lotion and dark glasses are now a pre-requisite to attending night games at the stadium.’
- ‘We hear of the time Spring developed a skin allergy which required him to wear dark glasses.’
- ‘Liz is usually attired in a headscarf and dark glasses, resembling a latter day Greta Garbo, and, of course, and is never recognised.’
- ‘In the end she dealt bravely with her situation by putting on her dark glasses again, taking up her white cane and going back to her former status of being blind.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.