One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Glasses with tinted lenses, worn to protect or conceal a person's eyes.
- ‘Both are wearing dark glasses, one is using a guide dog, and the other is tapping his way along the aisle with a cane.’
- ‘The only reason for armed policemen to wear gloves is to ward off the cold and they wear dark glasses to fend off the sun's rays.’
- ‘These competitors could also be seen with dark glasses and large coats to attempt to conceal their identity.’
- ‘Dorethea wondered if age had impaired his sight as it had her mother's, who read with a magnifying lens and wore dark glasses outside the house.’
- ‘In the end she dealt bravely with her situation by putting on her dark glasses again, taking up her white cane and going back to her former status of being blind.’
- ‘The next customer to come through the door is a man whose face is a mystery obscured by dark glasses and a beard.’
- ‘She wore a white hat and dark glasses against the photographers.’
- ‘They came in camouflage, hidden behind dark glasses, but no one noticed them: they only saw shadows.’
- ‘For protecting your eyes from ultra violet glare, dark glasses come in handy.’
- ‘Liz is usually attired in a headscarf and dark glasses, resembling a latter day Greta Garbo, and, of course, and is never recognised.’
- ‘He says his mother maintains to this day that her boys wear dark glasses because the fierce Maniototo sun burnt out their corneas.’
- ‘We hear of the time Spring developed a skin allergy which required him to wear dark glasses.’
- ‘Jerseys, long trousers, some form of covering to protect head and face from blowing sand, dark glasses and a good sleeping bag are essential.’
- ‘While the elderly carry the umbrella, youngsters take to wearing dark glasses, to avoid exposure of eye to the heat and dust.’
- ‘Her last public pictures, complete with walking stick and dark glasses, do not provide the image she would want to be remembered by.’
- ‘The lights themselves are dazzling and suntan lotion and dark glasses are now a pre-requisite to attending night games at the stadium.’
- ‘To view this slow moving but miraculous event please don your dark glasses or protective eye coverings.’
- ‘We had to cover ourselves up and wear dark glasses, it was so sunny.’
- ‘Gone too are the other accoutrements of anonymity: the dark glasses and baseball caps.’
- ‘All the criminals have to do is wear dark glasses and a hat to avoid being identified on camera.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.