One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A club for senior citizens.
- ‘This building and the nearby village hall between them accommodate a wide variety of interests, ranging from the playgroup through karate and the Darby and Joan club.’
- ‘He was not a particularly shy child and was performing regularly on stage by the age of six, thanks to a family friend who used to entertain at local Darby and Joan clubs and homes.’
- ‘Then he travelled north, knocked on doors and talked to Darby and Joan clubs about all-in holidays at the seaside for £6.50 a week.’
- ‘This still includes meals, books and some good neighbour schemes as well as lunch clubs and Darby and Joan clubs which provide fun and meeting places for those who do not have many visitors.’
- ‘She has been leader and deputy leader of the Darby and Joan club, now Broadway Evergreen, and a trustee of Broadway Youth Club.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.