Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small, dapper man or boy.
fop, beau, man about town, bright young thing, glamour boy, rakeView synonyms
- ‘She loves Anthony, a dapperling in person, with nothing to recommend him physically but a missy prettiness.’
- ‘He was a strange little dapperling, scarcely five feet tall.’
- ‘The stranger, having wiped the pen, presented it to the dapperling, who more debonnairly breathed his vein.’
- ‘An intellectual dapperling of these times boasts chiefly of his irresistible perspicacity, his 'dwelling in the daylight of truth,' and so forth.’
- ‘He propped it against the legs of a chair, that the dapperling might view his own magnificence.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.