One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A minute semi-transparent freshwater crustacean with long antennae and a prominent single eye.
Genus Daphnia, order CladoceraAlso called water flea
- ‘In addition to fish, other aquatic creatures such as clams and daphnia are used as indicators of chemical changes.’
- ‘When they reach a length of 12 mm, chub begin to feed more on small invertebrates, particularly chironomid larvae and tiny crustaceans, such as daphnia.’
- ‘The fish are still feeding heavily on the prolific green daphnia.’
- ‘Fish are feeding on small light olive buzzers and daphnia.’
- ‘Small fish begin by feeding upon zooplankton, mainly cladocera, such as daphnia, before moving onto bloodworm and larger invertebrates as they grow.’
- ‘They are not fighting for breath as some people believe, but are instead feeding on the dense clouds of daphnia that gather just below the surface.’
- ‘A large part of their diet consists of many winged insects, a large assortment of aquatic insects, and some zooplankton such as daphnia.’
Modern Latin, from Greek Daphnē, from the name of the nymph Daphne.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.