One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The rise of Brummell's dandyism, explains art historian Anne Hollander, marked the historical moment when men's clothes made the leap into democratic modernity.’
- ‘Eustache always retains a trace of dandyism, whereas Pialat is fundamentally a proletarian.’
- ‘Just as historical dandyism took its fashion and performance cues from women, so too did the Hollywood version respond to a new screen woman, who helped create a context for the modernized dandy.’
- ‘Gaston Monescu's refined taste, elegant dress, high British accent, and droll charm denote his dandyism from the film's beginning.’
- ‘His literary career, combined with his reputation for eccentricity, dandyism, and a love of dancing and theatre, prevented his preferment in the Church.’
- ‘Sometimes it embodied narrower military dandyism, as men sported rolled silk handkerchiefs instead of sword knots, slashed the seams housing the peaks of their caps to make them lie flatter, or shrank berets to eliminate floppiness.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.