Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or characteristic of a dandy.‘Wilson is a dandiacal man about town’
- ‘By mid-career, he was a narcissistic, dandiacal poseur, although Kelly finds it hard to see him as such.’
- ‘In its account of the dandiacal erotic practices of Duc Jean Floressas des Esseintes, the author established a link between aestheticism and decadent behavior.’
- ‘All this playing with words may sound a bit dandiacal and over-egging, so let me say immediately that, in the event, it does not have that effect.’
- ‘In dress he apes the dandiacal associated with Charles II.’
- ‘Several characteristics are deemed essential to the constitution of the dandiacal identity, among which vanity reigns supreme.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.