One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually postpositive Having deep zigzag indentations.
- ‘The shield divided dancetty resembles the letter ‘W’ suggesting the name of the school.’
- ‘At its centre is a divided dancette blue over green.’
- ‘Some of the other most common lines of partition are engrailed, invected, wavy, nebuly, indented, dancetty, embattled, raguly, dovetailed, and potenty.’
- ‘The pall was blazoned as indented on the Letter of Intent, but the proper description is dancetty when the zigzagged edges run parallel to each other.’
- ‘The French blazon for the per fess dancetty coat follows a different principle from the English, which partitions the shield into separate pieces.’
Early 17th century: alteration of French denché, based on Latin dens, dent- ‘tooth’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.