Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An area of uncarpeted floor in a nightclub, disco, or restaurant reserved for dancing.
- ‘Housed in a listed building, it will have two dining floors as well as a separate dance floor and bar.’
- ‘The also took the chance to get on the dance floor to enjoy some disco classics.’
- ‘In between dispensing dancing tips, word has it that Helen is first on the dance floor at any Malt Room gig.’
- ‘Iris has a passion for disco dancing and her moves on the dance floor have won her four competitions.’
- ‘As the night wore on, the disco took over with young and old taking to the dance floor to boogie the night away.’
- ‘Hundreds of teenagers braved the cold and the rain to hit the dance floor at a leading York nightclub.’
- ‘The OGA bar has a dance floor with a revolving mirrored disco ball and a game room.’
- 1.1as modifier Denoting a type of music particularly popular as an accompaniment to dancing.‘their brilliant dance-floor smash of a couple of years back’
- ‘Get loose, unwind and reflect on your contribution to global justice and peace to the accompaniment of the latest dance-floor fillers.’
- ‘The song - expected to be a huge dance-floor hit - has extra vocals written and produced by Micki Lynn.’
- ‘It has been a dance-floor smash ever since Tall Paul dropped the track last year at London's super club Turnmills.’
- ‘She can do modern dance-floor funk, like Streets of New York.’
- ‘This one deserves to be at least a minor dance-floor hit after a bit of a remix.’
- ‘After the interval the audience could stand it no longer and they were soon up in the aisles bopping to those great dance-floor fillers of the 70s, encouraged by the energetic cast.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.