One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A card bearing the names of a woman's prospective partners at a formal dance.‘we went to the school dance and the girls kept dance cards’
- ‘Don't put away your dance card just yet, because it turns out that there are plenty of single men in New York City to go around.’
- ‘Anna, feeling better, continued dancing with the other men on her dance card.’
- ‘She spoke about how, when she was thirteen and lived in Berlin, just before her mother died, her sister, Beth, was supposed to go to a ball, and had three royal princes on her dance card.’
- ‘She then picked up a dance card from the nearby marble table and went to the ballroom.’
- ‘I knew I stood out in a crowd because I was immediately surrounded by young men who wanted to fill my dance card.’
- ‘They were the biggest events in village life and the girls had dance cards and long dresses for them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.