One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A band that plays music suitable for dancing to, especially swing.
- ‘In the late 70s he joined a local dance band, and by the early 80s led his own band on summer season, hotel and cruise line contracts.’
- ‘This year's parade music will be provided by a popular dance band and three popular sound systems.’
- ‘The Stingrays are a four-piece dance band who play 50s and 60s rock and roll numbers, from Jerry Lee Lewis' Crazy Little Thing Called Love to The Doors' Roadhouse Blues and many other in between.’
- ‘I was playing a borrowed bass guitar with ‘Domino’, the dance band that had been at the epicentre of the Polish émigré scene in London in the 1960s and '70s.’
- ‘An excellent dance band is playing quicksteps to a large elegant room built for hundreds but tonight seating fewer than a dozen.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.