Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
noun & adjective
- another term for Afar
- ‘When I returned to the Danakil country, years later, I saw cars, tarmac road, service stations and convoys of lorries carrying petrol from Assab to Addis Ababa.’
- ‘Neither Christians nor Muslims eat pork; the Danakil, Oromo, and Somali avoid chicken and eggs as well.’
- ‘In the Danakil region, women are nude from the waist up.’
- ‘‘The Danakil rate a man by the number of men he has killed and castrated,’ says Thesiger.’
- ‘Some peaks in the Simyen Mountains receive periodic snowfall, while the average temperature of the Danakil is 120 degrees Fahrenheit in the day time.’
From Arabic danāqil, plural of danqalī.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.