Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A solid preserve made from damsons and sugar.
- ‘Their damson cheese, made from damsons from their orchard and sugar, is contained in specially made pottery.’
- ‘An English tradition is damson cheese, which is similar to quince cheese.’
- ‘I do like the old English idea of pouring port over a whole damson cheese studded with freshly blanched almonds and serving it as an after-dinner sweetmeat.’
- ‘Guests will be able to try traditional foods from these regions, including such rare dishes as damson cheese and hominy.’
- ‘Early damsons may be ready and can be turned into thick damson cheese, which is wonderful on a cheese board, though I also like it later in the year on porridge.’
- ‘Damsons make one of the finest of all jams - their bold flavour thrives with all that sugar - while damson cheese, a very firm, sliceable preserve, is great with cold meat.’
- ‘A traditional old English sweetmeat is damson cheese, very thick fruit pulp boiled with sugar to make a solid jam similar to quince cheese, which can be eaten with bread and butter or biscuits.’
- ‘Yesterday and today, I have made damson and apple jam, some damson cheese (a really thick set preserve with a similar consistency to cheese) and have started off some damson gin.’
- ‘Damson chutney and damson cheese both work with ham, sausages and cheese.’
- ‘An old English recipe using damsons is damson cheese, which is a rich confection of fruit, potted and aged before eating.’
- ‘Damson trees surround the town and the produce from them is turned into jam, damson cheese (a relish), lamb and damson pie and damson gin.’
- ‘The astringency of the fruit generally requires that it be cooked with plentiful sugar, as in damson jam or damson cheese.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.