One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small brightly coloured tropical marine fish that lives in or near coral reefs.
- ‘Many male damselfish, wrasses, and angelfish, among others, maintain harems.’
- ‘Many small fish, including juvenile fairy basslets and damselfish, retreat into crinoid arms when bigger fish appear.’
- ‘Down the bottom, skulking around coral in the sandy lagoon floor, are tiny damselfishes.’
- ‘Closer to the reef and in among a necklace of smaller granite boulders are all the usual reef fish - butterflyfish, damselfish, Moorish idols, triggerfish, angelfish, groupers and lionfish.’
- ‘In addition, some fishes are quite good at identifying other species; the Beau Gregory damselfish is apparently able to distinguish 50 different reef fish species that occur within its territory.’
- ‘Up to 25 percent of all fish on reefs are cardinalfish, and damselfish compose up to 50 percent of the total fish biomass (weight of all the fish) on reefs, the study says.’
- ‘Hundreds of tiny damselfishes dart around in shoals, finning their swift way through sunlit waters.’
- ‘The sites are home to a vast variety of reef dwellers such as the damselfish, angelfish, butterflyfish and sweetlips.’
- ‘Small damselfishes make a new reef-style habitat in the tangle of branches.’
- ‘Three-spot damselfish are common members of Caribbean reef communities.’
- ‘Closer to the reef, divers will be attracted by the hive of activity - wrasses, damselfish, butterflyfish and cleaner fish dart about foraging for food among the hard corals.’
- ‘I can see small schools of brightly coloured damselfish dart in and out of their coral shelters.’
- ‘An increase in territory quality has been shown to increase the aggressive intensity of S. planifrons, a damselfish closely related to the beaugregory damselfish.’
- ‘In the open water just off the reef, great swarms of damselfish cavorted, collecting plankton while barracuda cruised by trying to select an easy meal.’
- ‘Amid the ever-present clouds of little midnight-blue triggerfish and brilliant damselfish, and closely observed by a Napoleion wrasse, we rose from 20m in a gentle upward spiral until we ran out of reef.’
- ‘Because both cleaners and damselfish are diurnal, cleaning activities only occur during daylight periods.’
- ‘The deadly shelter of the stinging tentacles of sea anemones, which are lethal to smaller creatures, provides safe lodging for spotted damselfish and boldly striped clown fish.’
- ‘The anemonefishes provide some protection and bring in sources of nourishment for their anemone hosts, and some groups of juvenile damselfishes clean other fishes.’
- ‘Swarms of anthias, wrasse, emerald green triggerfish, damselfish, clownfish and butterflyfish shrouded it but never strayed far into the intermediate zone patrolled by trevally, tuna, jacks and fusiliers.’
- ‘Grouper are close to the top of the fish food chain, anthias and damselfish near the bottom, so there must be smaller fish somewhere.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.