One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small primary school run by elderly women, especially in their own homes.
- ‘I then gave the note for William to one of the other teachers at the dame school.’
- ‘His family were very keen on making sure he was educated, sending him to ‘dame schools’ until the time his father's debts meant that he was sent to work in a factory.’
- ‘Elizabeth Hannah was among the first to open a dame school in Alexandria.’
- ‘The school Robert attended was probably a single-teacher, dame school of the type popular at the time, which was early in the history of education in Kendal.’
- ‘His world was circumscribed - the dame school, the park, the house, occasional visits to the country, to Fern Hill and Aunt Annie.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.