One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Action taken to limit the damaging effects of an accident or error.
- ‘So I would expect that she advised him that this damage limitation was the best course of action.’
- ‘Still, day three was always going to be an exercise in damage limitation.’
- ‘I wonder if they will stand firm or whether they will attempt some damage limitation?’
- ‘In previous years I haven't managed to catch them early, and control has been impossible, with damage limitation the only hope.’
- ‘When quizzed by his colleagues about this uncharacteristic outburst, Mike embarked on damage limitation.’
- ‘Most electional charts are an exercise in damage limitation.’
- ‘This isn't about right or wrong, it's about damage limitation.’
- ‘Many a side would now have concentrated on damage limitation, but Steve Paterson has a more adventurous philosophy than that and his men continued to press forward.’
- ‘Despite the talent within their ranks, they had obviously come for a draw - an exercise in damage limitation.’
- ‘Kilkenny were now at sixes and sevens and working towards damage limitation.’
- ‘In a day of damage limitation, central banks around the world moved to calm markets by pumping an additional $80 bn into markets to ease a possible cash shortage.’
- ‘Heroic defence is all about damage limitation.’
- ‘Although Scotland have had their moments, next Saturday's test will again surely be an exercise in damage limitation.’
- ‘Stopping scandals before they happen is more effective than damage limitation after the event.’
- ‘Behind every food scare, there is a barrage of claims and counter-claims, hyperbole and damage limitation.’
- ‘It was a big day out for them, but that was all it ever promised to be when it rapidly become apparent that the plan was designed for damage limitation.’
- ‘These are electorally damaging claims and are potentially harmful to responsible and democratic government: clearly, damage limitation was indicated.’
- ‘But it wasn't quite right and it was all Ross could do to attempt some damage limitation and just get around safely and pick up a few points.’
- ‘They made the usual noises about ‘having nothing to lose’, but arrived thinking in terms of damage limitation.’
- ‘As a fuller story unfolds, his attempts at damage limitation sometimes seem like semantics.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.