One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Action taken to limit the damaging effects of an accident or error.
- ‘These are electorally damaging claims and are potentially harmful to responsible and democratic government: clearly, damage limitation was indicated.’
- ‘Most electional charts are an exercise in damage limitation.’
- ‘In a day of damage limitation, central banks around the world moved to calm markets by pumping an additional $80 bn into markets to ease a possible cash shortage.’
- ‘But it wasn't quite right and it was all Ross could do to attempt some damage limitation and just get around safely and pick up a few points.’
- ‘Kilkenny were now at sixes and sevens and working towards damage limitation.’
- ‘Heroic defence is all about damage limitation.’
- ‘I wonder if they will stand firm or whether they will attempt some damage limitation?’
- ‘They made the usual noises about ‘having nothing to lose’, but arrived thinking in terms of damage limitation.’
- ‘When quizzed by his colleagues about this uncharacteristic outburst, Mike embarked on damage limitation.’
- ‘Many a side would now have concentrated on damage limitation, but Steve Paterson has a more adventurous philosophy than that and his men continued to press forward.’
- ‘In previous years I haven't managed to catch them early, and control has been impossible, with damage limitation the only hope.’
- ‘This isn't about right or wrong, it's about damage limitation.’
- ‘As a fuller story unfolds, his attempts at damage limitation sometimes seem like semantics.’
- ‘So I would expect that she advised him that this damage limitation was the best course of action.’
- ‘Behind every food scare, there is a barrage of claims and counter-claims, hyperbole and damage limitation.’
- ‘Stopping scandals before they happen is more effective than damage limitation after the event.’
- ‘Despite the talent within their ranks, they had obviously come for a draw - an exercise in damage limitation.’
- ‘Still, day three was always going to be an exercise in damage limitation.’
- ‘It was a big day out for them, but that was all it ever promised to be when it rapidly become apparent that the plan was designed for damage limitation.’
- ‘Although Scotland have had their moments, next Saturday's test will again surely be an exercise in damage limitation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.