One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large long-legged gazelle with a mainly whitish coat, native to the southern and western Sahara (where it is now very rare).
Gazella dama, family BovidaeAlso called addra gazelle
- ‘Inland, hooved mammals such as the dorcas gazelles, dama gazelles, and addax graze while keeping a watchful eye out for predators such as jackals and striped hyenas.’
- ‘Like most desert species, the dama gazelle is highly nomadic, ranging widely in order to obtain sufficient nutrition.’
- ‘The dama gazelle is highly drought resistant - most of its water is obtained from its plant food.’
- ‘All dama gazelles have thin legs and a long, slender neck, as well as long, S-shaped horns, which are larger and thicker in males.’
- ‘Farther north in Africa, the dama gazelle of the Sahara region has suffered an 80 percent decline in the past decade because of uncontrolled hunting.’
Modern Latin dama ‘fallow deer’ (the specific epithet of its Latin name).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.