Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A unit used in expressing the molecular weight of proteins, equivalent to atomic mass unit.
- ‘Determination of the mass spectrum of LCP-J8 resulted in a calculated molecular weight of 14,158.45 daltons.’
- ‘These proteins allow diffusion of ions and even large molecules of the size of several hundred daltons.’
- ‘Molecular weights of protein standards are shown in daltons.’
- ‘Sterically unhindered because its molecular weight is 527 daltons, Argatroban neutralizes the active serine catalytic site of both free and bound thrombin.’
- ‘Lepirudin is composed of 65 or 66 amino acids and has a molecular weight of 7000 daltons.’
1930s: named after John Dalton(see Dalton, John).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.