One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the traditional Indian caste system) a member of the lowest caste.
- ‘I can see the law at last punishing those who kill, abuse or oppress Dalits.’
- ‘Inspired by her father's commitment, she wished to emancipate Dalits.’
- ‘As I am a Dalit, a member of a lower caste, the discrimination I faced angered me, and I wanted to do something about it.’
- ‘Singh is one of the Dalit or ‘untouchable’ castes that make up about a fifth of the state's voters.’
- ‘Following this, Dalits stopped some members of the landlord community today in the village.’
- ‘They have to achieve social equality, much like the Dalits or the Black Americans.’
- ‘The circumstances under which Dalits had started their struggle were extremely unfavourable and difficult.’
- ‘If there exist powerful forces that still oppose the rights of the Dalits, they do so against an entity that is empowered and assertive.’
- ‘Even in some modern traditional festivals, the Dalits find a place.’
- ‘Perhaps as many as one hundred thousand Dalits have followed his example.’
- ‘He is a Dalit, a member of a lowly caste that traditionally performed the most menial tasks in Indian society.’
- ‘By memorialising him in a suit, the Dalits were celebrating his successful storming of an upper caste citadel.’
- ‘Laws granting Dalits special consideration for government jobs and education reach only a small percentage of those they are meant to benefit.’
- ‘The Dalits, typically farmers and laborers, were sometimes forced from refugee camps.’
- ‘Due to these leaders, the lower castes and Dalits are now no longer meek and subdued.’
- ‘They are bound to start fighting between Dalits and upper caste people.’
- ‘Even in High Courts and embassies, the number of Dalits employed is a fraction of upper caste staff.’
- ‘About 56 houses of Dalits had been damaged, eight of them badly damaged.’
- ‘But many had questions on how Dalits came to be in the first place.’
- ‘This led him to insist that as long as the Dalits and other low castes remained within the Hindu fold, they would continue to suffer.’
Via Hindi from Sanskrit dalita ‘oppressed’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.