One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the traditional Indian caste system) a member of the lowest caste.
- ‘Following this, Dalits stopped some members of the landlord community today in the village.’
- ‘About 56 houses of Dalits had been damaged, eight of them badly damaged.’
- ‘Even in High Courts and embassies, the number of Dalits employed is a fraction of upper caste staff.’
- ‘Laws granting Dalits special consideration for government jobs and education reach only a small percentage of those they are meant to benefit.’
- ‘Perhaps as many as one hundred thousand Dalits have followed his example.’
- ‘By memorialising him in a suit, the Dalits were celebrating his successful storming of an upper caste citadel.’
- ‘If there exist powerful forces that still oppose the rights of the Dalits, they do so against an entity that is empowered and assertive.’
- ‘Inspired by her father's commitment, she wished to emancipate Dalits.’
- ‘Singh is one of the Dalit or ‘untouchable’ castes that make up about a fifth of the state's voters.’
- ‘But many had questions on how Dalits came to be in the first place.’
- ‘He is a Dalit, a member of a lowly caste that traditionally performed the most menial tasks in Indian society.’
- ‘Even in some modern traditional festivals, the Dalits find a place.’
- ‘The Dalits, typically farmers and laborers, were sometimes forced from refugee camps.’
- ‘As I am a Dalit, a member of a lower caste, the discrimination I faced angered me, and I wanted to do something about it.’
- ‘The circumstances under which Dalits had started their struggle were extremely unfavourable and difficult.’
- ‘I can see the law at last punishing those who kill, abuse or oppress Dalits.’
- ‘They have to achieve social equality, much like the Dalits or the Black Americans.’
- ‘Due to these leaders, the lower castes and Dalits are now no longer meek and subdued.’
- ‘They are bound to start fighting between Dalits and upper caste people.’
- ‘This led him to insist that as long as the Dalits and other low castes remained within the Hindu fold, they would continue to suffer.’
Via Hindi from Sanskrit dalita ‘oppressed’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.