One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large stocky pony of a breed which is typically black.
- ‘Gill Fearnhead from Sedbergh had a good second with her Dales pony Killington Bess.’
- ‘At the moment around ten children attend the project which uses rare breed Dales ponies and horses from a sanctuary in Sheffield.’
- ‘Goats were also shorter versions of the feral goats of today and horses would have been much like modern Dales ponies or Icelandic Horses, not usually more than about 14 hands high.’
- ‘To start at the beginning, the first foal we ever had was out of our Dales pony mare and yes, you've guessed right, I called her Bonny after my old favourite.’
- ‘Thieves also ruined Christmas for a six-year-old boy and his four-year-old sister when they snatched their Dales pony, Calef, from a field in Laburnum Place, Apperley Bridge, on Boxing Day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.