Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The basic monetary unit of Gambia, equal to 100 butut.
- ‘Some two million dalasi is still outstanding which is yet to be paid to communities in the LRD.’
- ‘The big boats cost 1200 dalasis / hour and 5500 dalasis for the full day, regardless of the number of people on board.’
- ‘When they do, quantities are relatively small and prices are extremely high at about 300 dalasis per kg.’
- ‘Since 1986, the dalasi was unpegged to pound sterling where it has then free floated.’
- ‘If there are no surviving dependents, burial expenses are payable up to a maximum of 1,000 dalasi.’
A local word.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.