One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A midwife or wet nurse.
- ‘The village has two young expectant mothers who will depend on the village's dai or midwife when their children are due.’
- ‘Mohan's thoughts have drifted back to India, his homeland, to Kaveri Amma, the woman who was his dai and looked after him when he was growing up.’
- ‘And they stopped paying the dai even the little they used to.’
- ‘Her family sent for Sitawati, the village dai (midwife).’
- ‘Following the tradition of her grandmother and mother, she served the community as a dai ben (a midwife) and was well known for her skill and care.’
From Urdu, from Persian dāyah.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.