Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Ingenious, intricate, and confusing.‘this curious amalgamation of comfortable hotel and Daedalian cruise ship’
complex, complicated, convoluted, tangled, entangled, ravelled, twisted, knotty, maze-like, labyrinthine, winding, serpentine, circuitous, sinuousView synonyms
- ‘As we leave Oban, we begin to find our way around this curious amalgamation of comfortable hotel and Daedalian cruise ship.’
- ‘He was unable to wind his way through the Daedalian mazes of a modern bill of fare.’
- ‘To answer this is, however, to wander into a Daedalian labyrinth of conjectures.’
- ‘This informed his interest in machinery, in difficult texts, and in Daedalian structures such as labyrinths and winding stairs.’
- ‘Beauty of contrivance, adaptation, or mechanism we have called Daedalian beauty.’
Early 17th century: from Latin Daedaleus relating to Daedalus + -ian.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.