One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Ingenious, intricate, and confusing.‘this curious amalgamation of comfortable hotel and Daedalian cruise ship’
complex, complicated, convoluted, tangled, entangled, ravelled, twisted, knotty, maze-like, labyrinthine, winding, serpentine, circuitous, sinuousView synonyms
- ‘As we leave Oban, we begin to find our way around this curious amalgamation of comfortable hotel and Daedalian cruise ship.’
- ‘He was unable to wind his way through the Daedalian mazes of a modern bill of fare.’
- ‘To answer this is, however, to wander into a Daedalian labyrinth of conjectures.’
- ‘This informed his interest in machinery, in difficult texts, and in Daedalian structures such as labyrinths and winding stairs.’
- ‘Beauty of contrivance, adaptation, or mechanism we have called Daedalian beauty.’
Early 17th century: from Latin Daedaleus ‘relating to Daedalus’ + -ian.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.