Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A decorative waist-high moulding round the wall of a room, which also protects the wall from damage.→ dado
- ‘An entrance hall decorated in red and white and featuring original stained timber flooring, ceiling cornicing and a dado rail, leads into the living room.’
- ‘Period features in the hallway include a dado rail, elaborate ceiling cornicing and a centre rose.’
- ‘The entrance hallway has ceiling coving, a dado rail and understairs storage.’
- ‘Here the dining room, which has space for a table to seat over a dozen guests, includes a dado rail, ceiling cornice, centre rose and an original fireplace.’
- ‘The stained glass front door, opens to a quarry-tiled hallway with cream walls, a dado rail and ceiling coving.’
- ‘The roomy entrance hall features an original dado rail and cornicing, as well as the original timber floor, which has been sanded and varnished.’
- ‘The large entrance hallway includes original decorative plasterwork with ceiling cornicing and coving, a dado rail and a set of original wall friezes.’
- ‘The galleried landing, decorated with a dado rail and cornice, is lit by a rooflight.’
- ‘The property includes an entrance hall with varnished wooden flooring, a dado rail, ceiling cornicing and a centre rose.’
- ‘A tiled entrance porch with a stained glass front door leads into the hall, which features a dado rail and ceiling cornicing.’
- ‘The front door opens into a high-ceilinged hall with polished wooden floors, a dado rail and decorative ceiling cornicing.’
- ‘There is also ornate cornicing in this room, depicting flowers, along with a picture rail and a dado rail.’
- ‘Currently the bedroom walls are magnolia above the dado rail, and papered beneath, with a subtle striped magnolia patterned wallpaper.’
- ‘The wallpaper was a salmon pink, and the dado rail painted white.’
- ‘Some period homes suit textured paper hung below a dado rail, with paint above.’
- ‘The original white marble fireplace and cast iron hob grate form the focal point in this room, which also has ornate ceiling cornicing, a dado rail and a fitted oak bar.’
- ‘The front door, with stained glass insets, opens into the living room which has polished maple flooring, ceiling cornicing and a dado rail.’
- ‘The main room has a dado rail, dividing the colour scheme into a light yellow above and a deep red below, which Lynne said was too dark.’
- ‘Avoid dark colours below a dado rail in a long hallway as this will emphasise the length and exaggerate its proportions.’
- ‘Inside, the square entrance hall features tongue and groove doors, a dado rail and antique brass light switches.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.