One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A decorative waist-high moulding round the wall of a room, which also protects the wall from damage.
- ‘The main room has a dado rail, dividing the colour scheme into a light yellow above and a deep red below, which Lynne said was too dark.’
- ‘A tiled entrance porch with a stained glass front door leads into the hall, which features a dado rail and ceiling cornicing.’
- ‘Here the dining room, which has space for a table to seat over a dozen guests, includes a dado rail, ceiling cornice, centre rose and an original fireplace.’
- ‘The original white marble fireplace and cast iron hob grate form the focal point in this room, which also has ornate ceiling cornicing, a dado rail and a fitted oak bar.’
- ‘The front door, with stained glass insets, opens into the living room which has polished maple flooring, ceiling cornicing and a dado rail.’
- ‘The stained glass front door, opens to a quarry-tiled hallway with cream walls, a dado rail and ceiling coving.’
- ‘Avoid dark colours below a dado rail in a long hallway as this will emphasise the length and exaggerate its proportions.’
- ‘Inside, the square entrance hall features tongue and groove doors, a dado rail and antique brass light switches.’
- ‘Period features in the hallway include a dado rail, elaborate ceiling cornicing and a centre rose.’
- ‘Some period homes suit textured paper hung below a dado rail, with paint above.’
- ‘The property includes an entrance hall with varnished wooden flooring, a dado rail, ceiling cornicing and a centre rose.’
- ‘An entrance hall decorated in red and white and featuring original stained timber flooring, ceiling cornicing and a dado rail, leads into the living room.’
- ‘There is also ornate cornicing in this room, depicting flowers, along with a picture rail and a dado rail.’
- ‘The large entrance hallway includes original decorative plasterwork with ceiling cornicing and coving, a dado rail and a set of original wall friezes.’
- ‘The entrance hallway has ceiling coving, a dado rail and understairs storage.’
- ‘The galleried landing, decorated with a dado rail and cornice, is lit by a rooflight.’
- ‘Currently the bedroom walls are magnolia above the dado rail, and papered beneath, with a subtle striped magnolia patterned wallpaper.’
- ‘The roomy entrance hall features an original dado rail and cornicing, as well as the original timber floor, which has been sanded and varnished.’
- ‘The wallpaper was a salmon pink, and the dado rail painted white.’
- ‘The front door opens into a high-ceilinged hall with polished wooden floors, a dado rail and decorative ceiling cornicing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.