One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in India or Burma (Myanmar)) an act of violent robbery committed by an armed gang.‘an increase in the number of dacoities in buses’mass noun ‘thirteen cases of attempted dacoity’
robbery, stealing, thieving, larceny, thievery, robbing, pilfering, pilferage, purloiningView synonyms
- ‘Not a day passes without reports of mugging, murder, dacoity, extortion and kidnap making it to the front page.’
- ‘Murders, rape incidents, dacoity and burglaries had become the order of the day.’
- ‘This crime included murder, attempt to murder, dacoity, robbery and kidnapping.’
- ‘The Crime Branch claimed to have arrested four dacoits while they were planning a dacoity in the Reva Express.’
- ‘He was beaten by police, and jailed seven times, charged with dacoity.’
- ‘In another case, the West district police claimed to have arrested a desperate robber, who was involved in several cases of robbery and dacoity.’
- ‘In the last three years the division has registered 700 cases of crimes, including dacoity, robbery and murder.’
- ‘The year was 1985, and the town was under a scare of violent burglaries and dacoities targeting remote houses.’
- ‘Murders, loots, dacoities and rapes have become the order of the day.’
- ‘Banda's name struck terror into the hearts of lawless people, and thefts and dacoity became a thing of the past.’
- ‘Rakesh was involved in a case of looting registered against him at Sadar police station, Gohana, whereas Gulabsher had been involved in a case of dacoity and murder.’
- ‘He also pointed out that in many earlier instances criminals in the guise of labourers were arrested by city police in specific cases and more particularly, in crime against property cases like dacoity, robbery, burglary and theft.’
- ‘There have been several killings and dacoities on moving trains.’
- ‘The men watch all our movements shiftily and are responsible for all the dacoities in the neighbourhood.’
- ‘There have been only very few instances of dacoity in the city.’
- ‘The police have registered a case of dacoity and have launched a massive hunt for the suspects.’
- ‘Rashid and his associates entered a house in Bhogal lane on July 27 and committed the sensational dacoity.’
- ‘The Special Staff of the North West district today claimed to have arrested a desperate criminal who was involved in a number of murder and dacoity cases in the Capital and various other districts in Uttar Pradesh and Gujarat.’
From Hindi ḍakaitī.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.