One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dog of a very short-legged, long-bodied breed.
- ‘To find models, she posted a request on Craigslist for fit, well-behaved and well-groomed dachshunds, a strategy that provided mixed results.’
- ‘Though he lives alone with his dachshund, it appears that he has an engaged existence, enjoying frequent contact with and occasional visitors from the city.’
- ‘‘Excuse me, young man, would you put your dog on a lead,’ I recently suggested to a traveller, whose snarling lurcher was baring its fangs at my dachshund.’
- ‘We spent an entire rainy Saturday afternoon playing gin rummy at the house of my brother with the two children and three dachshunds.’
- ‘The first official Olympic mascot dates back to the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich with Waldi the dachshund, a popular Bavarian dog.’
- ‘He shares his house with two dachshunds, one of which is seeing a chiropractor for some back problems he's developed.’
- ‘The ISPCA received more than 3,000 calls to its National Animal Helpline from the public anxious to house the 110 dachshunds rescued in that raid.’
- ‘The dachshunds, terriers and poodles of the world have waged a high-tech war against the Siamese, Persian and tabbies.’
- ‘If variety isn't the answer, then the key to the dachshund's popularity must be stature, for the dachshund is a small dog only in size.’
- ‘Many sources suggest early breeders incorporated dachshunds and Italian greyhounds into their breeding programs.’
- ‘Pekinese, bearded collies, dachshunds and Yorkshire terriers were among the 260 dogs seized at a single house in Lancashire last month.’
- ‘Therefore, Kressant and Carolina, both 14-year-old young ladies, took Sparky, our twelve-pound dachshund, up the pier to the dog walk.’
- ‘These days, specially trained dogs - usually dachshunds - do the dirty work.’
- ‘I have eight identical canvas tote bags printed with a portrait of Flossie, my dachshund.’
- ‘The second defendant has said that there are 18 dogs on the premises including five adult shepherd dogs, one poodle and the rest are adult dachshunds.’
- ‘No memorial has yet been planned, but in tribute to the designer's love of dachshunds, any donations should be made to the Animal Medical Centre in New York.’
- ‘And now I am off to Crete, hoping that our house-sitters will cherish my goldfish, giant African landsnail and sea-monkeys (the dachshunds are at the in-laws).’
- ‘He glanced down toward the end of the bed, where Scottie, his miniature dachshund was sound asleep.’
- ‘Our intrepid troopers had put down a 20-inch super rat, described as ‘vicious as a fighting dog and as big as a dachshund.’’
- ‘One of his four dogs, the long-haired dachshund, jumped up in my lap and we had a prolonged session of ear scratching.’
Late 19th century: from German, literally ‘badger dog’ (the breed being originally used to dig badgers out of their setts).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.