One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mechanism used to secure a bicycle or motorbike when parked, consisting of a U-shaped bar which is locked to a crosspiece of solid metal.
- ‘It is best to lock them in a garage or shed or if you are going to leave them out in a garden secure them with a D-lock.’
- ‘When you're out and about, shackle locks, also known as D-locks, are good for fixing your moped to street furniture, such as lamp posts.’
- ‘The blockade caused chaos on the A59 as protesters, using D-locks, tripods and chains, closed and bolted the two side entrance gates.’
- ‘I'm worried that the next time some chav cuts me up, I'll lose it and remove their wing mirror with my D-lock.’
- ‘I screamed some very rude words and put the hammer down, trying to catch him so I could break his windscreen with my D-lock.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.