Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Toxic to living cells.‘cytotoxic drugs’‘peripheral blood lymphocytes may be cytotoxic to these cells’
- ‘A woman was exposed to a possible teratogen such as a live vaccine or cytotoxic drug when she was not protected by effective contraception.’
- ‘Pores in membranes can be induced by cytotoxic peptide antibiotics and by peptide fragments of viral glycoproteins.’
- ‘She was subjected to an intensive combination of cytotoxic drugs and cranial radiotherapy.’
- ‘The fibrils formed by the hexapeptide were also cytotoxic toward the pancreatic cell line.’
- ‘Ganciclovir is a guanosine analog that becomes strongly cytotoxic when phosphorylated.’
- ‘The ability to distinguish between the two cell types is not complete, and cytotoxic drugs cannot avoid causing some damage to normal cells.’
- ‘Drug treatment of cancer is often limited by unwanted tissue damage due to the lack of tumor selectivity of the cytotoxic agents administered.’
- ‘The catalytic antibody technology can localize the delivery of a cytotoxic drug to a specific cell or cancer type.’
- ‘Vitamin C is directly cytotoxic to certain cancer cell lines in vitro.’
- ‘Leukocidin is a pore-forming protein that has cytotoxic effects on host cells.’
- ‘Nurses usually prepared and administered intravenous drugs on the wards, but cytotoxic drugs were prepared centrally by the pharmacy department.’
- ‘Earlier studies indicated that the fibrils themselves were the cytotoxic form of amyloid peptides.’
- ‘A hospital doctor has been charged with manslaughter over the death of a teenager who was wrongly given a spinal injection of a cytotoxic drug meant for intravenous use only.’
- ‘Physician office laboratories that handle cytotoxic drugs are required to have special procedures for handling these agents.’
- ‘This reaction results in the production of oxygen radicals, which are cytotoxic to the tumor cells.’
- ‘The control experiment with ascorbate alone shows no noticeable cytotoxic action of sodium ascorbate.’
- ‘A wide variety of agents has been discovered that stabilize such structures and exert cytotoxic effects on cells in culture.’
- ‘Unsaturated aldehydes are often cytotoxic, and many of them are precursors of fluorescent products.’
- ‘The free radicals and reactive species produced by these reactions are highly cytotoxic.’
- ‘With cellular immune response, specific cytotoxic T cells are formed.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.